BRONCOS bolter Joe Ofahengaue is embroiled in a contract tug-of-war with Queensland rivals the Titans attempting to poach Brisbanes hottest young forward property.
Wayne Bennett will blood the off-contract Ofahengaue on Friday night against the Sharks, but the Brisbane coach is facing a battle to retain the nephew of Wallabies great Willie O. The 19-year-old is regarded as a future superstar and his potential has been detected by the Titans, who want Ofahengaue running off new recruit Daly Cherry-Evans next season.
It is understood the Titans offer is very lucrative for an unproven teenager, but the Broncos have a history of keeping players they want and have no plans to lose Ofahengaue. As Ofahengaue prepares for his NRL baptism against a Sharks pack led by NSW Origin enforcer Paul Gallen, Bennett revealed the Broncos had big plans for the forward workhorse. Were negotiating with Joe right now, Bennett told The Courier-Mail.
Hes off-contract but he doesnt have to play great in the next month to prove anything. I know Joes ability and I see him as a long-term player at the Broncos; its all to do with how we play and develop him.
If the issue is solely about money, the Titans would win a bidding war. The club has 18 players off-contract at seasons end and, having snared Cherry-Evans, can afford to go hard for Ofahengaue backed by a $2.5 million war chest under the salary cap. But loyalty will also be a factor for the 112kg powerhouse. When Ofahengaue was homesick and struggling to adjust to Sydney life at the Roosters two years ago, it was the Broncos who issued a lifeline for the Ipswich product.
Since moving to Red Hill, Ofahengaue has developed from a rangy centre to a bruising prop with an incredible endurance base for a big man.
In two consecutive finals games last season for Brisbanes under-20s, he ran for more than 200m and excels in fitness drills at the Broncos. Such has been his remarkable rise, Ofahengaue has even stunned Bennett, with the coach indicating in pre-season that 2015 was unlikely to be his debut year. Now Ofahengaue, who relished a brutal World Club Series hit-out against Wigan last month, will celebrate the fairytale NRL debut he has craved for 12 months.
I took it personally, the rookie said. I took it like I want to prove him (Bennett) wrong and that I am ready to play this year. It was a challenge to me. I have all my trust in Wayne because I know where he wants me to go. I have to trust Wayne and wait patiently until the time is right. Bennett is adamant Ofahengaue wont be overawed by the Sharks pack at Remondis Stadium. He has a great attitude, he works extremely hard, he said. Joe has to understand it wont be in his best interests to play the next 20 games in the NRL this year, but Joe knows where he stands with me.
He has a big future here.
http://ift.tt/1qZu27l
I'd like to suggest something that is a little outside the sqare but would be of great benif to the Dragons.
Why not offer Dan Hunt to the Titans who will be short of forwards this year at 200k for two years - the remainder of his contract. Then offer Ofahengaue a three year deal at an average of 200k per season.
In this way we lose Hunt and gain Ofahengaue for the same money we would have wasted on Hunt.
Wayne Bennett will blood the off-contract Ofahengaue on Friday night against the Sharks, but the Brisbane coach is facing a battle to retain the nephew of Wallabies great Willie O. The 19-year-old is regarded as a future superstar and his potential has been detected by the Titans, who want Ofahengaue running off new recruit Daly Cherry-Evans next season.
It is understood the Titans offer is very lucrative for an unproven teenager, but the Broncos have a history of keeping players they want and have no plans to lose Ofahengaue. As Ofahengaue prepares for his NRL baptism against a Sharks pack led by NSW Origin enforcer Paul Gallen, Bennett revealed the Broncos had big plans for the forward workhorse. Were negotiating with Joe right now, Bennett told The Courier-Mail.
Hes off-contract but he doesnt have to play great in the next month to prove anything. I know Joes ability and I see him as a long-term player at the Broncos; its all to do with how we play and develop him.
If the issue is solely about money, the Titans would win a bidding war. The club has 18 players off-contract at seasons end and, having snared Cherry-Evans, can afford to go hard for Ofahengaue backed by a $2.5 million war chest under the salary cap. But loyalty will also be a factor for the 112kg powerhouse. When Ofahengaue was homesick and struggling to adjust to Sydney life at the Roosters two years ago, it was the Broncos who issued a lifeline for the Ipswich product.
Since moving to Red Hill, Ofahengaue has developed from a rangy centre to a bruising prop with an incredible endurance base for a big man.
In two consecutive finals games last season for Brisbanes under-20s, he ran for more than 200m and excels in fitness drills at the Broncos. Such has been his remarkable rise, Ofahengaue has even stunned Bennett, with the coach indicating in pre-season that 2015 was unlikely to be his debut year. Now Ofahengaue, who relished a brutal World Club Series hit-out against Wigan last month, will celebrate the fairytale NRL debut he has craved for 12 months.
I took it personally, the rookie said. I took it like I want to prove him (Bennett) wrong and that I am ready to play this year. It was a challenge to me. I have all my trust in Wayne because I know where he wants me to go. I have to trust Wayne and wait patiently until the time is right. Bennett is adamant Ofahengaue wont be overawed by the Sharks pack at Remondis Stadium. He has a great attitude, he works extremely hard, he said. Joe has to understand it wont be in his best interests to play the next 20 games in the NRL this year, but Joe knows where he stands with me.
He has a big future here.
http://ift.tt/1qZu27l
I'd like to suggest something that is a little outside the sqare but would be of great benif to the Dragons.
Why not offer Dan Hunt to the Titans who will be short of forwards this year at 200k for two years - the remainder of his contract. Then offer Ofahengaue a three year deal at an average of 200k per season.
In this way we lose Hunt and gain Ofahengaue for the same money we would have wasted on Hunt.
Joe Ofahengaue
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire